Monday 14 April 2008


Scented sugars




I have gone rather overboard with scented sugar making as of late. I made vanilla sugar for the first time last year and exhausted my supply within months. I used it in crumbles, pies....you name it. Since then, I have kept vanilla sugar (that is, caster sugar in a jar with vanilla pods) in the house regularly and belive me; there is nothing nicer than a mug of warm milk in the evening with a teaspoon of vanilla sugar stirred in.

Since then, I have started making cinnamon sugar (caster sugar with cinnamon stick or two). According to Chris it is wonderful in a crumble topping or used in home-made ice-cream.

Reading How to be a Domestic Goddess at the weekend I realised that I haven't even scratched the surface of scented sugars and so now I have 4 gorgeous big jars of scented sugars;

Vanilla sugar,
Cinnamon sugar,
Rosemary sugar, (perfect for sprinkling on rosemary cakes, or even - just a pinch - in casseroles),
Lemon sugar, (with dried lemon peel and dried lemon grass; ideal for sprinkling on a lemon drizzle cake).

Just seeing them makes me feel happy in a warm domestic kinda way!


I have recently been financially endowed enough to purchase Twelve by Tessa Kiros and am thinking about cooking as much from that gorgeous book as possible before before I finish my weightloss and reach my target weight. So, expect to see a *lot* from that book before August!









3 Comments:

Blogger Oh my! Apple pie! said...

I love scented sugars, it does make you feel all domestic goddess-ey.
Never tried a lemon scented one though.

15 April 2008 at 11:44  
Blogger hungryandfrozen said...

All those jars lined up look gorgeous - I bet they smell heavenly! I made some vanilla sugar, it's truly wonderful!

18 April 2008 at 21:50  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love scented sugars too, very goddess like.

Rose sugar is gorgeous too. Just put a couple of handfuls of rose petals in with the sugar, if you want to use this as icing sugar just blitz it in the food processor. Yum.

21 April 2008 at 10:45  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Visits to Cooking for Chris